Celestion Axi2050 (BD-Design)

by Wilson1, USA, Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 04:48 (591 days ago)

Hi Bert... Following on to a conversation we had back in 2021 I have bumped into a pair of the Celestion Aix2050 drivers. I will be using them in conjunction with my Orphean horns and will be using a miniDSP for the xover and level matching duties. The drivers will not arrive until early Nov so I'll give you an update before end of the year.

Celestion Axi2050

by Bert @, Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 14:37 (591 days ago) @ Wilson1

Following on to a conversation we had back in 2021 I have bumped into a pair of the Celestion Aix2050 drivers. I will be using them in conjunction with my Orphean horns and will be using a miniDSP for the xover and level matching duties. The drivers will not arrive until early Nov so I'll give you an update before end of the year.

Thanks Wilson, would be nice to know!

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Celestion Axi2050

by avaarni @, Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 14:53 (585 days ago) @ Wilson1

I am also interested to hear how this driver works.

Celestion Axi2050

by Bert @, Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 15:59 (585 days ago) @ avaarni

I am also interested to hear how this driver works.

I can tell... with DSP it will work as "full-range", without this EQ hardly unless you'll use a passive equalizer/crossover but then you’ve killed the whole idea using one driver for the whole spectrum.

Just my 2ct

--

Celestion Axi2050

by avaarni @, Wednesday, September 21, 2022, 18:36 (584 days ago) @ Bert

DSP and EQ seems to be the way to go with the new Klipsch Jubilee.

Celestion Axi2050

by Wilson1, USA, Friday, September 23, 2022, 15:43 (582 days ago) @ avaarni

Yes the new Jubilee uses this combination of the Axi2050 + DSP but what was more interesting to me was when multiple people I know that have the pro version of the old Jubilee started swapping the TAD driver on the 402 horn out for the Celestion. I heard this combination recently and was very impressed. I did have a look at the DSP settings of the system and no doubt the DSP is absolutely required to achieve meaningful results. Note this is not room correction just xover + 5 poles of PEQ. Will be interesting when the drivers arrive late Oct early Nov.

Celestion Axi2050

by Bert @, Friday, September 23, 2022, 19:30 (582 days ago) @ Wilson1

I am sure it will create a balanced sound...

But is DSP something you really want?

First you'll need to convert analog to digital, then DSP and from digital to analog again.

Bert

--

Celestion Axi2050

by Wilson1, USA, Saturday, September 24, 2022, 00:33 (581 days ago) @ Bert

I do understand and this very reason is why I still love my Oris-150's with Vox@tiv AC-2.6 drivers running straight from my 300B amplifiers with no xover. Just wish they could be as dynamic as the Orphean. While there will be multiple trade-offs using DSP my hope is to merge the best parts of the Oris and Orphean. May be a fruitless experiment but frankly I am not unhappy with either of my BD-Design horns.

Celestion Axi2050

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 23:18 (577 days ago) @ Wilson1

I use a DEQX HDP 4 DSP with my triamplified bass corner horns, Oris 150 horns driven by AER BD3s and Fostex t900a super tweeters. I have used DSP with this system for the last eighteen years. I am very convinced that the advantages provided by the DSP far outweigh any disadvantage.
Bert mentioned the sonic penalty of an analog to digital conversion and a digital to analog conversion. I must admit that I can't hear any sonic degradation from this. Consider that for fifteen years Mobile Fidelity "Original Master" LPs secretly had such a conversion, A to D and D to A, involved in the process of creating LPs they advertised as having been made from the original master tapes without any "analog only" audiophile catching this until very recently. Perhaps such a conversion with good modern DACs is not as audible as many audiophiles believe.

Celestion Axi2050

by Wilson1, USA, Thursday, November 03, 2022, 18:08 (541 days ago) @ Wilson1

All... A brief update as I received the Celestion Axi2050 drivers a few days ago and now have them in my system. Wow, these drivers are crazy good! I was concerned that using a DSP xover between my pre and amp would have negative effects but I must say it's been all positive thus far. Note that my starting point for the DSP config was to set a high pass filter at LR-48dB/Oct at 200Hz to protest the drivers. Then, since some Klipsch Julilee owners have upgraded their hors using the Celestion, I borrowed what they had found as appropriate EQ settings for a starting baseline. Since Bert's horns easily outperform the Klipsch K-402 I did not need much of the EQ and went from 7 to just 2 poles to boost the high frequencies above 9500Hz.

Celestion Axi2050

by avaarni @, Saturday, November 05, 2022, 10:58 (539 days ago) @ Wilson1

Thanks for the update! I still find this interesting driver.

At what frequency the high pass filter works the best with AXI2050? If you have measured the driver can you share that?

And most the most important thing is how does the sound compare with BMS4592ND driver which most of Orphean owners listen to?

Regards,
Antti

Celestion Axi2050

by Wilson1, USA, Saturday, November 05, 2022, 14:40 (539 days ago) @ avaarni

Hi Antti... I set my high pass filter at 250Hz using a LR-48dB/Oct just to safegard the driver from low frequency info. As far as a comparison to the BMS I will preface saying that I have used the BD modified BMS for years and have really enjoyed it. The AXI is smoother across the full 200-20KHz range but does not have as much energy in the 12k-20KHz range and does require an EQ pole to boost a bit. With the EQ boost the top end sparkle is awesome without being aggressive. The midrange is smooth and liquid with better low-midrange integration I suspect that is due to the lack of a crossover (the AXI is full range 200-20kHz. The clarity is just next level I'm discovering new information in recordings I have listened to for many years.

FYI, I have listened to the AXI in the new Klipsch Jubilee and in the older commercial Jubilee and the AXI through Bert's Oris easily betters either Klipsch application.

I just could not be happier.

RSS Feed of thread