Could I have 'Blown' both of my Hypex Amps ? Or ???? (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Monday, March 18, 2024, 21:34 (39 days ago)
edited by Kevin, Monday, March 18, 2024, 23:07

I have been running my Hypex Bass Amps with my Orphean Horns for about 10 years now, without any problems. But I keep getting asked if I have 'Measured' them and for the Freq resp charts. And was encouraged to do this.

So about 3 months ago before I left for the winter, I decided to set up the measuring stuff, Microphone, USB Audio Interface and with REW software fooled around with various settings on my Hypex amps and did various Freq 'Sweeps' with REW for about a week.

During my Measuring and changing settings. One of my Hypex Amps started emitting a some Bass Tones that were 'oscillating' to the point I had to shut the amp off. I then started over and decided to load all 4 presets with different settings. However the amp was not taking the changes, even though the download to the preset seemed to work. At this point, I decided to re-load the firmware and it indicated that it was successful, but it still would not accept preset changes.

So, I left for the winter and have recently returned. I just tried the Preset software on one of the amps and while it shows it is downloading the preset, I get no bass out of the Amps. So, both amps are not producing any bass currently. I contacted Hypex and they were not helpful at all. In fact they were not even interested in fixing them.

So, I am hoping that someone here, could give me some ideas on what might have happened to the amps and how to proceed to fix them ideally, but any info will be appreciated.

As a side note: -- While I was away for the winter, I saw a pair of Hypex amps similar to what I have that were new in Box (PSC2.400d) - So I spent about $1,000 on them and I won't hook them up, until I can get a little more understanding of what happened to my existing amps.

Could I have 'Blown' both of my Hypex Amps ? Or ????

by Bert @, Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 08:48 (39 days ago) @ Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Hypex Plate amps ...

The same happend more often caused by the DSP module which breaks down after some time. Some take a long time but some even within half a year. Sometimes the amp boards will be damaged too when the DSP board fails.

I bought their last DSP modules to help out my customers but I have used the last ones available, all gone.

I have no experience with their new plate amp series and DSP-boards but I have switched to MiniDSP (MiniDSP PWR ICE125 or 250) which proved to be more reliable with much more user friendly software and hardware while tuning.

I am still using their MiniDSP 2x4 (the old version!) for my subs and still working flawlessly.

The MiniDSP ICE amps have one problem though, they make noise and a lot when you have a high efficient system but this can be "repaired" relative easy by separating the signal and power leads which are standard binded together.

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/search?query=ice125%20noise&searchdate=all&search...

[image]

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:
ICE125, PWR125, MiniDSP

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Wednesday, March 20, 2024, 16:41 (38 days ago) @ Bert

Where is a good place to purchase these MiniDsp Amps?

by Bert @, Wednesday, March 20, 2024, 16:42 (38 days ago) @ Kevin

Where is a good place to purchase these MiniDsp Amps?

MiniDSP.com?? :-)

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Gasper @, Thursday, March 21, 2024, 07:01 (37 days ago) @ Kevin

Hi,

I have the same case...it is DSP module... I have ordered 2 new DSP modules directly from Hypex, but it is also important to "clean" resin which is between components...

New FA (502) series of plate aps are cleaner build, but I have a case tht one amp strait out of the box breaks out. MiniDSP was not an option for me since I needed at leasr 1kW of power.

Gasper

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, March 21, 2024, 13:04 (37 days ago) @ Gasper
edited by Kevin, Thursday, March 21, 2024, 13:22

I don't think that is an option for me, as Bert said that he bought their last DSP modules from Hypex for the PSC2.400 Models. And Bert has no more left.

I also have some of this resin between components (Mostly small Capacitors) --- Do you know where this this resin comes from? And most importantly how exactly did you clean it? Did you use any kind of solvent and what kind of tool?

BTW - What did these modules cost?

by Gasper @, Friday, March 22, 2024, 10:20 (36 days ago) @ Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Resin is filled by factory to protect small parts, when it gets older, than it starts to dry out, and causing problems...

I have leave this job to professional service, he also change DSP boards (it costs me 25 Euro for both amps).

New DSP boards purchased from Hypex in 2019 were 178 Euro including shippment and VAT.

Gasper.

by Erwin @, Netherlands, Friday, March 22, 2024, 22:00 (35 days ago) @ Kevin

Hi Kevin,

same here.
I modified the PSC2.400, effectively bypassing the entire DSP board. So now it is just a power supply with 2 amplifier modules. For DSP I now use a MiniDSP2x4 HD.
This is already quite some work to do, desoldering various components and laying wires. But i have it written up somewhere with some pictures so can share if interested.

But even then, besides the DSP module, also 3 capacitors on the power supply tend to cause problems, they can prevent the amp from starting up. (i replaced them preventivally) and there is one SMD resistor on the amplifier modules which can give problems too, when it 'burns' the amplifier module won't start up. In my case there was some small puffs and cracks in the sound coming from the amplifier module from which the resistor was dying, before it died completely. Replacing the resistor fixed it.

You have to be really handy with a soldering iron to even want to try all this, the amp modules have quite sensitive PCB's, its easy to rip the tracks. And then still, who knows how long before something else goes...

All in all, i cannot really recommend this, only if you hate to scrap an otherwise fine amp, like me :grin:

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Friday, March 22, 2024, 23:44 (35 days ago) @ Erwin
edited by Kevin, Saturday, March 23, 2024, 00:18

Since the parts I need are not available from the Manufacturer and they refuse to fix them, I will not pursue any Hypex Products.

I did get another pair of Hypex Amps that I am currently using. But given their reliability history, very poor customer service, as well as very poorly designed software that is not user friendly and lacking in features, I will probably order a pair of MiniDsp in the next month or so.

RSS Feed of thread