Sound Advice for All. (Off Topic)

by GC, Sunday, March 13, 2005, 04:57 (6984 days ago)

Hi Everybody,

I reread the post I just posted in response to JBryan's inquiry, and it occurred to me that some might wonder if I've been critically listening for forty years how can I still hear high frequency details such as details of the sound of the rivets in cymbals. Therein lies the advice I wish to give to others, especially young audiophiles.

In 1962 when I was twelve years old I saved up money from my paper route and bought the first firearm I owned alone. It was a fine 20 gague shotgun. The sound of its report bothered me terribly. My father told me to push the bullet end of a couple of live .22 rifle cartridges into my ears. This helped a great deal. By the mid sixties good quality compressible foam ear plug and ear muff noise suppressors were commonly available to me. Ever since then I have used them on a daily or near daily basis.

I always wore ear plugs or muffs (or both) not only when shooting large bore firearms, but also anytime I attended a rock concert or visited a noisy night club or mowed grass or or ran an electric drill (much less a table saw) or rode in a convertible or even used a blender to make frozen daquiris at a party, etc. etc. I still do.

Yes, you have to be rather obsessive to begin and continue for life a habit such as this. Yes, people will sometimes make fun of you, but if you would like to end up being a fifty-five year old who can still hear fine detail of recordings of rivets in cymbals this is not a good way, it might be the only way.

Sincerely,
Don Reid

Tags:

Sound Advice for All.

by GC, Sunday, March 13, 2005, 07:21 (6984 days ago) @ GC

Apart from the firearm talk, which just seems to come out frightingly normal, I am on somewhat one the same page. If have a nice simple set of ear plugs that I use when (hammer)drilling and hope not to forget when going to public musical events or badly managed movie-houses.

Tags:

Sound Advice for All.

by GC, Sunday, March 13, 2005, 08:48 (6984 days ago) @ GC
edited by GC, Sunday, March 13, 2005, 08:53

Excessive noise over the years causes loss of upper frequency hearing. How? The fine small sensory hairs in the ear are thinned out. Micro-photos show this on studies. Mine, in the right ear, were thinned out, no thanks to the din of the Pratt and Whitney exhaust, when I clocked up a thousand hours on the DC 3 as a copilot, in 1964. Later, sitting in the left hand seat, when I had a command, the exhaust note was mush less, so that the left ear stayed fine. The six monthly medical high frequency hearing test picked this up straight away. Practicing naturapathic medicine, as a hobby, I discovered that these fine hairs will regrow, if one supplements with 500 mgs of acetyl-l-cysteine, (empty stomach before breakfast), for a period of about six months. At age 68 my hearing is again fine, so I can enjoy the full range of live and canned music. This safe, non-toxic amino acid has a multitude of other beneficial health effects, and is available from nutritiondiscounters.com, AST brand, sold as NAC 500.

Tags:

Sound Advice for All.

by GC ⌂ @, south florida, Sunday, March 13, 2005, 21:17 (6984 days ago) @ GC

i always have earplugs,for public transportation(screaming childeren,the parents of,,the pa's on buses are too loud
every thing too loud these days

Tags:

Sound Advice for All.

by GC, Monday, March 14, 2005, 21:31 (6983 days ago) @ GC

Wow,
thanks tom. I will certainly look into this. I don't hear much above 13 KHz. I have never heard of any way to actually restore hearing, I thought it was irreversible. I have posted this information on the "high end" forum on Gearslutz, thinking that many would like to know about this and Gearslutz is widely read. http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?p=288882#post288882
Thanks again!!
Russell

Practicing naturapathic medicine, as a

hobby, I discovered that these fine hairs will regrow, if one supplements
with 500 mgs of acetyl-l-cysteine, (empty stomach before breakfast), for a
period of about six months. At age 68 my hearing is again fine, so I can
enjoy the full range of live and canned music. This safe, non-toxic amino
acid has a multitude of other beneficial health effects, and is available
from nutritiondiscounters.com, AST brand, sold as NAC 500.

Tags:

Sound Advice for All, especially Niels.

by GC, Tuesday, March 15, 2005, 01:34 (6982 days ago) @ GC

Dear Niels;

Despite your firearms phobia, I agree that we are pretty much on the same page. One suggestion I'll make is instead of creating a mental list of situations where the sound pressure level might be high enough to cause hearing damage consider every situation you encounter individually.

A good way to do this is to sit down with your audio system and an accurate SPL meter. Adjust the volume up on your system until the SPL meter shows you are at the threshhold of the level where you (or you and your doctor) believe hearing damage will begin happening. I use pink noise for this so the level remains constant. Now find a easily created, quantifiable, easily repeated sound that you can use to tell you in the future if you are in an enviroment this loud or louder.

Examples of such a sound are rubbing your thumb and forefinger vigourously together one handswidth away from your outer ear. If I can hear this I assume I'm OK. If I can't I change my distance from the stage (speaker, machine, etc.) to attentuate the volume. This is all so idisyncratic that I'll not list other examples.

Sincerely,
Don Reid

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread