AER "b"-Series for Singular? (BD-Design)

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 09:03 (6919 days ago)

Hi Bert,

About half a year ago I have built the Singular speakers with Fostex FE 206. Thank you for sharing the plans. I'm quite happy with the speakers but still looking for improvements (Isn't this the main driver for our hobby?).
On AER pages I have found the "b"-series of drivers like MD1b or MD2b? Have you ever tried the drivers with the Singular? Are they suitable?
I'm quite happy with the sound when I'm listening to small ensembles and female singers but when it comes to Balkan brass the sound is not as detailed, clear and involving as I would expect it to be. You now the speakers very well, what is your experience in this regard? The sound might also be affected by the electronics involved.

Thanks
Helmut

Tags:

AER "b"-Series for Singular?

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 09:15 (6919 days ago) @ GC

Hi Helmut,

On AER pages I have found the "b"-series of drivers like MD1b or MD2b?
Have you ever tried the drivers with the Singular? Are they suitable?

I am still experimenting with those drivers, I already have the fourth pair of magnets and next will be an altered diaphragm assembly because I am still not 100% satisfied with the present combinations. Their sound is good though and better than the AERmkI in some ways for use in the Singular but other things need to addressed first before I will suggest them as optimal driver for the Singular.

For now the best AER driver for use in the Singular is the MkI (with EQ to balance the rising high frequency response).

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Balkan Brass?

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 12:44 (6919 days ago) @ GC

Hey, are you a fellow Kocani Orkestar fan Helmut? :o)
Pity that stuff isn't available on vinyl....

Brian.

Tags:

Balkan Brass?

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 14:27 (6919 days ago) @ GC

Hi Brian,

My favourites are Goran Bregovic (Tales and Songs from Weddings and Funerals) and the Boban Markovic Orkestar. I love the power, energy and speed of the music. Brass music from the Jewish tradition is also quite interesting, but it is hard to find good sounding recordings. Any recommendations?

Helmut

Tags:

Balkan Brass?

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 16:08 (6919 days ago) @ GC

Hi Helmut

yes, I have several Boban Markovic too and "Tales and Weddings" is a perennial favourite of mine. Especially Track 4 ;o)
I love playing this music LOUD in the car on hot days with the windows open and frightening the sheisen out of cyclists :o))

I have only one Klezmer disc - a private release by a North London band called "Shir" - and would dearly love some more but I am now only collecting vinyl and this stuff just ain't around in that format :o(

Brian.

PS I have AER MD2s in my Hornet Hedlunds and love them to pieces. Early experimental version.

Tags:

Balkan Brass?

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 22:19 (6919 days ago) @ GC

I have only one Klezmer disc - a private release by a North London band
called "Shir" - and would dearly love some more but I am now only
collecting vinyl and this stuff just ain't around in that format :o(

Brian.

If you are interested in Klezmer music, there is some recordings by a band called the New Orleans Klezmer Allstars - it's a side project by saxman Ben Ellman from Galactic. Not your traditional Klezmer music, but very enjoyable!

You can read more about them @ http://www.galacticfunk.com/ Follow the "Discs" link, then the "Projects" link.

No affiliation with the band, just a fan of their work :-)

Cheers,
Mike

Tags:

Balkan Brass?

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 22:43 (6919 days ago) @ GC

Thanks Mike. Those downloads sound veeery niiice :-)
But are the albums vinyl? I can find no reference to format.

Brian.

Tags:

Balkan Brass?

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 23:06 (6919 days ago) @ GC

Thanks Mike. Those downloads sound veeery niiice :-)
But are the albums vinyl? I can find no reference to format.

Brian.

Glad you liked what you heard. I had the opportunity to see them live on two occasions long before I knew they had any commercial releases available. I was blown away both times!!!

My guess is they are only available on CD. Although vinyl would be a treat!

If you like the Klesmer stuff, you may want to check out some of Galactic's stuff. Crazyhorse Mongoose is one of my favorites (it seems to be in constant heavy rotation at my home). It's not Klesmer, but it has a nice groove to it. Also, HIGHLY recommended is Stanton Moore's All Kooked Out.

You can download some samples on the same site I posted earlier.

Happy listening!
Mike

Tags:

One more thing...

by GC, Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 23:08 (6919 days ago) @ GC

I just realized you're looking for vinyl (the mental lightbulb just lit-up), but I though you may enjoy the music regardless of format. :-)

Cheers,
Mike

Tags:

Balkan Brass?

by GC, Wednesday, May 18, 2005, 10:49 (6918 days ago) @ GC

Thanks Mike, these samples sound great :-)

Helmut

Tags:

Balkan Brass?

by GC, Wednesday, May 18, 2005, 18:42 (6918 days ago) @ GC

Thanks Mike, these samples sound great :-)

Helmut

Always happy to turn people on to some new music. Glad you enjoyed! :Y:

Cheers,
Mike

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread