Quasar positioning (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Tuesday, June 27, 2006, 12:01 (6520 days ago) @ Ken

Hi Ken,

I just looked at your website. Very nice!

Thanks!

I like the concept of the Quasar. However, as the speakers are very large, and are a dipol, how critical is it to position them? As what I understood, dipols shouldn't be too close to a wall (side and back). And what should be the minimum distance between two speakers?

The Quasars like to have space around them for the most free presentation. Having them closer to the side walls (>50cm) is not a major problem though.

The minimum distance between the speakers is not important, having them closer will only reduce the width of the "image".

As my room is not too big, an alternative could be to build a singular or the Fostex enclosure. I also red that Tony Gee created a FE-206E enclosure, with a tweak to solder the mass of the speaker to the minus connection of the speaker and covering the magnet with damping. Did you try that with your Quasars/Singulars?

The Singular likes to have some space too but not as much as the Quasars. The Singulars are relative deep so the driver itself will be just as far into the room.

I never tried to dampen the magnets but I did try to ground the mass of the speaker and that does improve clarity (although not huge). I connected the mass to earth (the mains), not to the minus of the speaker terminal. This only works if the minus is connected to the ground of the amp/earth which is not always the case.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread