Quasar positioning (BD-Design)

by ALF, Saturday, July 08, 2006, 01:36 (6509 days ago) @ Bert
edited by ALF, Sunday, July 09, 2006, 06:13

It will vary from listening room to listening room, but what about toe-in with largish dipoles like Quasars? (I'm experimenting with "Quasar-like" "temporary" open baffles with Visiton B200s before I bite the bullet and seriously get into the project) (my "temporary" seems to last a lot longer than many people's "temporary" ... tortoise wisdom tells us that speed is not necessarily a virtue :grin: )
I'm not keen on listening with full-range speakers pointing directly at my hairy old ears ... a bit off axis always seems best.
I just can't seem to make up my mind whether a positioning with virtually no toe-in gives a more pleasing image / sound stage than a well toed in set up like Niels suggests above. At present my baffles are not toed in, and about 3metres apart (driver centre), and I sit about 3 metres from the speaker plane. Toe-ing in such that the speaker axis crosses over around about 750mm in front of your ears seems to work well with horns and similar ... but what would any of you folk with experience advise with OBs?
Cheers
ALF

A Next Day Edit
I played around with them and the furniture again yesterday after my initial, rather inane, post ...
I have toed them in so the "focus" point is just over 1metre in font of me - this is the most extreme toe-in I have tried ... the stereo image is great! Much more so than before, and the 'sweet spot' is much wider - more choice of seating...
... I just don't understand this open baffle thing ... but I certainly like it :smile:
ALF again

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread