Sound differences Orphean/Oris150? (BD-Design)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, December 28, 2006, 10:34 (6340 days ago) @ alanbrain

I had already read that post before. According to that, The Orphean is
more cleaner sounding with a better low level information retrieval. And
the Oris is more fuzzy romantic.
I can understand that, I assume also that the these are slight differences
because the overall performance must be almost very alike with the 2
speakers. But I would like to know what are the subtle/ major if any
differences between the sound the 2 drivers deliver through the horn, the
BMS and the AER.

Hi Alan,

Please allow me to add 2c;
(and Bert, correct me where you do not agree)

IMO judging music through equipment is -in all cases- too much subjective to ... judge. :no:
I myself advocate judging the "reality" elements, and I might be the only one doing it like that. Judging elements comes down to stupid theory, but so far it seems to work.
Note though, that this can only start to work after taking some "unreality" hurdles ...

Am I clear ? of course not.:wacko:

I'll try to come to the point first;
The Orphean was created to produce a more real sound. Nothing more or less than a more near to 100% representation of wat it's fed with. This means : the worse the material it's fed with, the worse it will sound.
I hear you say "yeah, logic", but it is not all that simple. I mean, why can cables sound significantly better ? right, because they (can) act as a filter. A filter for high frequencies, eliminating present distortions ... making the sound more dull at the same time. Nett, however, you may go for the filtered sound.

Now, what Bert was trying to make clear, is that the Orphean has a better representation of reality, which does not mean that it will be better for you. It should be though, when the "source path" is allright.
When the source is okay, the Orphean will reward you by letting that hear easily. It will express an enormous natural sound, say, like real life is.
And real life is not fatiguing ...

Strangely enough (or not) the proper source can also imply for the kind of opposite : when the source is allright but the further route to the speakers is not, a lot of things go wrong. Think of dynamics expressed by the source which can't be dealt with, therewith creating audible distortion, which a set of very decent speakers will make audible; less decent speakers will filter that distortion again and you may be satisfied with it ...
Or, the source itself is wrong, just creating a not so much real life sound which can be expressed by all kind of strangenesses (like superfluous bass, less hall than as how it should be, unrecognized cymbals, hissing voices). Very decent speakers will express that too, but judging good / no good becomes rather impossible, or you must judge the least disturbing as the best (which is very different from choosing the most real life sounding !).

In the end it all comes to "knowing" how things can be. You e.g. could listen at Bert's place for getting the reference, and then you will *know* how the Orphean is able to express reality. Just listen to cymbals and brushes and the like, and just get the hunch of "yeah, this must be really her singing there" (without ever meeting "her" in real life).
Copying that at home is then a matter of a good DAC and a good player (which both can be obtained from Bert theoretically).

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread