What to do with too many Watts ? (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 14:40 (6279 days ago) @ Bert

Not sure (at all) :

I don't think squeezing the input is a good solution, because you will squeeze away resolution. I know, it's analogue, but still.

Another thing is, that I don't think a class D is about attenuating an otherwise full signal (like with class A), and it is merely about gradually amplifiying. Also note that a class D (afaik) doesn't do anything when it's not fed with (m)volts hence sound.

And Leif, IMO the revving up into clipping areas is unrelated, because from theory follows that when you need more "balance" in the volume span, this wouldn't be from zero to full 700W ever. You'd always end up at half the physical span or even less if you're comfortable with that.

Besides that, a good class D has a THD figure (like 0,03% or so) which is pure straight from 20Hz till 20KHz. So you *can* run it at full power.
As a sidenote, a poor class D like the T amp, has 20% THD over 60% of it's span.
I just looked it up for the Ucd700 ... THD is 0.007% at 1W and 0.04% at 600W. Isn't that something to look forward to ? We'd probably keep in the near 0.007% range ...

By writing this I'm near sure it is just the amplification which should be less aggressive, and (obviously) not ending at 700W, but at, say, 150W.
The headroom should remain the same, as long as the power / caps part isn't changed.

If no one disagrees, shall I ask this to Hypex ? (I asked it without any fundamentals before, and received the answer "but you'd have plenty of headroom". IMO no good if one thick of the volume produces 30W = airfighter SPL against 112dB sensitivity.

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread