How to record height information? (Off Topic)

by GC, Saturday, March 31, 2007, 09:18 (6236 days ago) @ MikeH
edited by GC, Saturday, March 31, 2007, 10:26

Hi Mike

Any Audio Engineers out there who can assist?

I'm not an Audio Engineer and I am of no assistance to many, but Mike, I have something to add.

From memory the cd I mentioned earlier was recorded this way. They not only
used fake ears - they made a whole head and the actors spoke around it.
It is a shame about the content of the recording. Sitting on a beach,
walking through a forest, a summer thunderstorm, walking in the snow,
these are the (non musical) things I would like to hear.

Yeah...In Germany they called those recordings "Kunstkopf" which to my best knowledge could be translated to "artificial head" with mic's s c r e w e d directly into the poor head and placed where you normaly find the tympanies. I remember, I heard it even, but those recordings were meant for playback via a head set, right? Not real loudspeakers.
Once I heard a Kunstkopf recording with head sets clamped onto my not that well looking head, someone opened a rear door in a room with me sitting right in the middle of it. I heard the person walk towards me, scarry realistic, and that person whispered something into my left ear, caNot remember what, with such a soundpressure that made me levitate 1 meter above my chair of the shock i got.
I took me an hour to get rid of the addrenalin that whisper had generated.
Beleive me, I could have knocked that person down but failed to, as it was all an illusion despite the realism.

It would be interesting to experiment with a dummy head with ears and two
microphones inside. Playback would be more convincing to the brain with
in-ear monitors. Would one fake head work for all people or would you
need a selection of shapes for different people?

If you took the recording I mentioned above and played it back through the normal loudspeakers: Nothing special about that. No 3-D experience to find here. On the contrary it was flat, boring and indifferent.

Any Audio Engineers out there who can assist?

Maybe there is.....

GC

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread