On-axis or off-axis in a smaller room (Swing)

by anubisgrau, Monday, March 10, 2008, 12:52 (5901 days ago)

Hi guys,
since Saturday I'm another owner of Oris Swing here so.... you can congratulate me:). The initial impressions are certainly fantastic (this is an understatement) and I will write more about it when I recover, however now just a quick question:
My room is roughly 5.2x4.2m with 3.2 ceiling. I had to push them pretty much to the back wall in order to get some 3.3m to my listening position. I'm sure this is the smallest room one has put Swings in!
The vertical integration is so far perfect, you don't hear any issues.
First 24 hours I listened them slighly off-axis and I wasn't perfectly happy with a L-R integration, there was too much separate sounds coming from separate speakers (left and right).
I was a bit afraid that if I put them on-axis, they would beam even more or just be overwhelming, like having 2 laser sabres shooting directly into your head.
I finally got a courage and put it on-axis. Yes, there's a bit more treble but I could feel that the integration into a coherent soundstage is now better.
Bert, I'm wondering what are your thoughts, is it just a trial & error thing until you make it working, or you might have a certain recommendation for an optimum positioning in a room.
TA!
Gordan

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread