On-axis or off-axis in a smaller room (Swing)

by GC, Friday, March 14, 2008, 01:09 (5897 days ago) @ anubisgrau
edited by GC, Friday, March 14, 2008, 01:14

Thanks a lot, I've started thinking along these lines this morning when I did a change in position after which I've heard a similar interference from the room which I had with an old dynamic speakers. Contrary to the picture, I swing the horns pointing outwards, not inwards so I've felt I've had a better situation like 3.3m between the horns and 4.2m to the listener. However I've also caught room working more than usual as I could hear the whole sound coming more from left side due to the fact that the upper horns are now pretty close to the side walls therefore earlier reflections.

Can anyone point to a good online source of info how to DIY absorbers/diffusors or where to buy them for a reasonable money. Many thanks!

The speakers are btw ridiculously good, the best investment I did in my history of audio. Worth of every cent and worth of every hype they can get! I'll write more.....

Gordan. I shall drop by your place this weekend and check out the phenomenon you address here.

There is much to understand about when reflection, diffusion and absorbtion should/could be applied. And most do it wrongly in good trust. The use absorbtion when diffusion is needed and visa versa.

I my room which is pretty much a late-reflection dominated room with some kind of spontanious diffusion and very little absorbtion, I have spacial sound and no L-R dominator effect. You know. But I have 4 meters to the side walls and the first reflection from those walls were decades away in the time domain and af no importance with their late arrivals. The brain doesn't care.
There is a perfect set-up your place, even your room is rather small. But not that small either. But your right channel has a lot of diffusion from that wall and your left a lot of reflection/absorbtion. Here is the *dog* barried.

It should be even weighted. Room jutter has to be L-R balanced.

Bert also has his Orpheans placed close to a rather hard wall and do not have this pronounced L-R definition, but very much info in between the speakers. So?

Balance, because reflections are mirrored in the L-R sound stage.

We'll solve this.

Ciao
GC :wink:

BTW: Aleksander, the RAAL-Ribbon guru has his unique *Manhatten* diffusors which I think you should apply to your left wall in a limited amount. His is working down to 200 Hz, which is pretty low. Cut a few Eifel-towers off and you could have a nice decoration there at the left.
If you do not have this *problem* solved, I know who can do it. Rainer Weber.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread