Orphean filters? (BD-Design)

by samoore @, Thursday, November 22, 2007, 02:13 (6000 days ago)

It appears I will be picking up a pair of Orpheans second hand (Kurt). They have the MkI with Deuland copper foil caps. I will be pairing them with my BD15 compact bass units. I don't think I can use the low pass bass filter I have been using for my compact bass/Oris200 system, so what type of filter will I need for the bass cabinets? Also, I will be using my Antique Sound Lab integrated tube amp to drive the horns, will I need to upgrade to the MkII crossover to make the horns sound right? I am just trying to get a handle on what I need to get the horns sounding good and how much it will cost. :shame:

Thanks!

Steve Moore

Tags:

Orphean filters?

by Bert @, Thursday, November 22, 2007, 10:22 (6000 days ago) @ samoore

Hi Steve,

It appears I will be picking up a pair of Orpheans second hand (Kurt).

Congratulations!

They have the MkI with Deuland copper foil caps. I will be pairing them
with my BD15 compact bass units. I don't think I can use the low pass
bass filter I have been using for my compact bass/Oris200 system, so what
type of filter will I need for the bass cabinets? Also, I will be using
my Antique Sound Lab integrated tube amp to drive the horns, will I need
to upgrade to the MkII crossover to make the horns sound right? I am just
trying to get a handle on what I need to get the horns sounding good and
how much it will cost. :shame:

You can still use the present passive line filter you already have (to be tuned a little bit) plus some extra components to create a extra 12dB passive filter in between the bass amplifier and the BD15.

I will mail you a schematic (based on the MkII) so that you can see how all is connected.

You can use the MkI filter as it is if you use a tube amplifier with relative high output impedance, the MkI was tuned for that. Still, with the MkII filter (see Orphean page) you will experience another big step towards perfection compared to your present system... :cool:

http://www.bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d71.html

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Orphean filters?

by samoore @, Thursday, November 22, 2007, 18:15 (6000 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert!

I am pretty excited about the whole affair! :grin: I think the output impedence of my tube amp is about 8ohms. Is that high enough for the MkI filter to operate normally? Also, regarding the bass filter schematic you sent. If I understand you correctly the filter before the bass amp is the filter I am currently using, and I need to construct the filter that is placed between the amp and BD15. Is that correct? So, I don't need to open my current filter to make any modifications, just make the new one and add it in?

Thanks so much!

Steve

Tags:

Orphean filters?

by Bert @, Thursday, November 22, 2007, 18:38 (6000 days ago) @ samoore

Hi Steve,

I am pretty excited about the whole affair! :grin: I think the output
impedence of my tube amp is about 8ohms. Is that high enough for the MkI
filter to operate normally? Also, regarding the bass filter schematic you
sent. If I understand you correctly the filter before the bass amp is the
filter I am currently using, and I need to construct the filter that is
placed between the amp and BD15. Is that correct? So, I don't need to
open my current filter to make any modifications, just make the new one
and add it in?

The 8 ohm you refer to is for the speakers to be connected, that is not what I meant but since the amp uses output transformers then it will work out okay while using these output taps.

After adding the second filter you will probably need to open the current filter (before the bass amp) and tune it a bit but first give it a go without changing that part.

Let me know how that works out for you...

Have a save drive! :wink:

Bert

--

Tags:

Suggested Experiment

by Cappy @, Sunday, November 25, 2007, 01:05 (5997 days ago) @ samoore

Steve,

When you set up your Orpheans here is something you can try:

Leave one Oris Horn channel intact. Set up the Orphean horn on the other channel. Leave the bass filters on both channels to match the Oris. This gives a bit of a handicap to the Oris.

Now put on some music you like and switch back and forth between the channels, listening to one side, then the other. The Orphean is going to be louder, so you will want to reduce your volume level when listening to that side.

I think you will find this experiment interesting.

Tags:

Suggested Experiment

by samoore @, Sunday, November 25, 2007, 04:54 (5997 days ago) @ Cappy

Hi Cappy,

We are definitely going to take some time and compare the Oris and Orpheans. I want to make sure I enjoy the Orpheans more than the Oris before I sell the Oris horns. I have really enjoyed them and the Orpheans will have to be significantly better to make me part with them.

Steve

Tags:

Suggested Experiment

by Cappy @, Sunday, November 25, 2007, 07:54 (5997 days ago) @ samoore
edited by unknown, Sunday, November 25, 2007, 08:36

The test I described is worth doing. It is quite different than just listening to one set, then the other, then back to the first set. Both techniques are good but the one against the other in near real-time is quite eye opening.

Tags:

Suggested Experiment

by Bert @, Sunday, November 25, 2007, 12:27 (5997 days ago) @ Cappy

Hi Cappy,

The test I described is worth doing. It is quite different than just
listening to one set, then the other, then back to the first set. Both
techniques are good but the one against the other in near real-time is
quite eye opening.

Yes, this will show clearly the differences but I would suggest to have one channel with the Orphean tuned properly at first to hear the true potential.

A well integrated system compared to something that needs "work" would not be objective...

Bert

--

Tags:

Suggested Experiment

by Cappy @, Sunday, November 25, 2007, 18:40 (5997 days ago) @ Bert

But that is exactly the point of the experiment, give the Oris a handicap.

Like I said, both ways of comparing are useful. But this technique was really eye-opening, to me anyway.

Tags:

Suggested Experiment

by Bert @, Sunday, November 25, 2007, 19:07 (5997 days ago) @ Cappy

But that is exactly the point of the experiment, give the Oris a handicap.

Okay, I still do not see the point but that wil become clear when done I guess... :blush:

Bert

--

Tags:

Suggested Experiment

by GC, Sunday, November 25, 2007, 09:32 (5997 days ago) @ samoore

Dear Steve

I understand clearly your concern.

Well I had the great luck to follow Bert during his dvelopment of the Orpheans due to my high frequently visits to his Studio.

Here I had plenty of possibilities to compare the ORIS fullrangers to the Orpheans.

For me it did not take a split second to decide which were the best and most fidel. The Orpheans.

I had at that moment the same system as you now intend to say thank you and good bye to. That I said good bye to my Oris 200/Compact system were without any tears i my eyes. :cool:

Good luck and enjoy your Orpheans.

GC

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread