Turntable versus CD... (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Sunday, September 10, 2006, 17:23 (6438 days ago) @ James D

Hi James,

... as opposed to the important parameters for sound reproduction where the digital chain is better...

This might be more important to achieving the solution than we might think ...
Currently I am so far that each improvement unveils a so much audible bad thing in the chain. Believe it or not, but this has nothing to do anymore with the soul (but your expression about this is true of course). Instead, it has become a very simple listening to distortion, and when the distortion is tweaked away, there's an instrument. Note though, that before the (implied) improvement, there's nothing. So no distortion and no instrument.

I really think that I am near to "telling" how audio sounds, and where it is wrong, if both parties only have my current setup. Again this has nothing to do anymore with "being with the music" or "how it gets you" or "depth of stage" (which could be intended) etc. etc. If there's one slight prove of distortion somewhere, tweak it out, and the mentioned phenomena (as examples) must have improved.
Oh, note that "tweak it out" might implicate a set of new amps !:swoon:

I don't think I can get the message to anyone that once you're over this big hurdle, first bad things come to you as distortion previously not there, and second you can get rid of it and there's a complete instrument in place.

Cymbals and the like are difficult, right ?
Well, yesterday I visited a live two-man band, one behind unamplified drums, and one behind the keyboard. It was in a tent, and I was about alone. So I set down 10 meters in front of the drummer, and explicitly started listening to how cymbals should sound ...
Well, from the Swings they sound better.
:biglol:
Of course this is stupid, but it is true anyway, and so far I blamed in on the keyboards overruling the sweet highs. The highs sounded enormeously distorted.
It doesn't take much to let that happen in your room, and (overhere) it has become easy to solve such things because it has become stupid listening to distortion. Anyone can hear that, and it's not subjective. Anyone can hear when it's replaced by an instrument just the same. :grin:

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread