T and D conclusions (Off Topic)

by takman @, Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 05:42 (6212 days ago) @ Bert

Awfully harsh comments. While I respect all of your opinions, I think we need to add a little objectivity to the discussion. First, the listening was done using the Orpheans, which are in many ways even more "extreme" than the Oris Reference. I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that the Red Wine T amps may not necessarily be a good match with the Orpheans (because the emphasis of micro dynamics), so perhaps this is one of the problems you heard. So far as I can tell on my Oris, I do not hear the "metallic" sound (although I admit that there was something metallic prior to full break in), and it is very very non-fatiguing. I can listen all day with much pleasure, whereas I am sensitive to fatiguing sound (I could not listen for an extended period of time to the dCS digital gear that I used to own or to the foobar playback without using kernal streaming or Bert's other ways of getting direct data). Is it because the paper cone deemphasizes metallicness compared to the metal diaphram on a compression driver, I don't know, but I would think it is plausible. So I hope Bert's comment is directed only at the combination of the amps with the Orpheans. I would of course be interested in hearing people's experiences with these amps with the Oris. Second, I think it would help to put things into context by pointing out the relative strengths and weaknesses of each of the various T and D amps and tube amps. For me, I do believe my tube amps did some things better than the Red Wine (a certain glowing "romantic" aspect of the sound), but it wasn't enough to overcome its deficiencies (dynamic compression (both micro and macro) and a slight lack of "freshness" to the sound). So for some music, I could see myself preferring the tubes. Overall, though, I am much happier with the Red Wine. As for the other T and D amps, I have no idea, but from what I've read on the web, I kind of doubt whether any of them will be significantly better than the Red Wines. I got the impression that Bert and Peter were focussing on the "metallicness" of the sound and were not really mentioning the positive aspects in their posts. The combination of the two points above, at least to me, makes me feel like the critical comments are phrased in a way that is somewhat unfair to the makers of the Red Wine amps. Then again, I am also biased somewhat since I have smoe hard earned cash invested in the amps.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread