Windows vs Linux: round 2 (Off Topic)

by Bert @, Monday, August 13, 2007, 01:19 (6101 days ago) @ Eddie

Thanks Eddie for the "review". It was fun to have it all happening at my place but my personal conclusions are not all the same as yours...

The first initial tests showed that the Manger CD did sound better with Brutus (Linux setup) but for the rest of the CD's I have heard I found GC more in balance, more realistic.

To my ears Brutus has a kind of loudness effect making the Manger track more fun to listen too but giving more bass and more high frequencies makes real instruments less recognisable (Garbarek - Officium) where an instrument screamed like h*ll on Brutus but sounded like a saxophone on GC and this was much more bearable to listen to.

I didn't like the results of the second test where Brutus was used without the Django as attenuator, despite the more "open" sound (overshoot?) there was lack of integration and the natural tonal balance was gone. We should have done that with the TwinDAC and GC too, just to hear what that would have brought for an objective comparing test...

For me GC is still the better player for my system and ears but, to my knowledge, it was not the intention of this afternoon to compete, but reading at diyaudio it seems that it was a kind of contest after all?

As Klaus is writing at diyaudio, it will be needed to prepare things better. Especially if it is going to be some kind of contest and not just checking each others player and hear the progress.

GC is still under development and so is Brutus.

BTW Klaus, the dog was barking all the time (as usual) and does not care about music at all...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread