Thanks for the advise... (BD-Design)

by GC, Friday, March 11, 2005, 14:10 (6986 days ago) @ GC

Thanks guys,

- Don, I've seen your setup - impressive workmanship! The few Oris/Khorn setups I've come across don't have the Oris horns attached to the bass bins (of course, I've only seen a couple of examples). Does the Khorn's wider corner placement discourage mounting the 150s on top of them or might the higher mount degrade the image? I would prefer to keep the setup simple (read: easy) and avoid an active crossover/EQ if at all possible. I want to run a single cable from the SET amp(s) and mount something like a 100w Tripath amp under the Oris horn similar to the BD-30 setup.

- Gasper, I couldn't link to the site as posted but I would like to get the specs on your ATS horn. Is there any benefit using the 8mH coil or is this an absolute necessity in your xover design?

- Bert, I'd certainly prefer the AER drivers in a 2-way setup but a Fostex 208/t-90 combo has to be a fall back as both drivers are available to me. It appears that 160Hz is a good place to start when determining the cut-off for the Khorn with the 150 and the 150 is apparently preferred over the 200 but I'm not sure why. The 200 would seem to be the better choice in that it has a wider soundstage which should complement the Khorn's wider placement requirements. Also, since the Khorn can go up to 450Hz or so, what is the benefit of a cutting it off at 160Hz as opposed to 215-230Hz with the 200?

Thanks again, all your advise is very helpful!

Thanks! -Bryan

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread