Finished Quasar MkII at home ? (BD-Design)

by ALF, Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 00:42 (6478 days ago) @ damirdafish
edited by ALF, Wednesday, August 09, 2006, 04:01

Hi damirdafish,
Well, my speakers are not really Quasars, but are open baffles I put together based on the same design as an experiment before I settled down and built the real thing ... Although these are "temporary" baffles, I have been so pleased with the result that the "temporary" is lasting a lot longer than I had intended ... I will get around to permanent baffles one of these days soon, but I've been busy, and happy, so I prefer wine and listening to woodwork tools at present ...
The finish is pretty rough ... and the room pretty messy ... The speakers are set on a diamond pattern across the room - I mean, the corner is between them - you can't tell in the pic, but they are about 800mm from the walls, and at abot 45 degrees to them ...
the full range driver is a Visaton B200 ...I'm using a little NAD 320BEE for the main amp ... an old more powerful NAD Monitor power amp for the bass - fed via an active crossover coming in at about 80Hz ... I'm thinking of changing the 320BEE for a "Charlize" chip amp in future, and perhaps using a tube preamp (if I ever get around to it)
Cheers
ALF

PS - in this photo the B200s are not yet installed - the speakers here are BG20s - I was waiting for the B200s to arrive at that stage - I enlarged the holes and screwed in the B200s shortly after I took this pic - but I was too lazy to take another .
There is a world of difference between the B200s and the BG20s ...

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread