ALFs OBs (BD-Design)

by ALF, Thursday, August 17, 2006, 01:08 (6469 days ago) @ goon-heaven

Hello Goon-heaven
The B200s are run full-range, and they do go remarkably low by themselves.
I feed the bass drivers via an active crossover - at present I'm using a Behringer ... not really designed to be "hi fi", but at these frequencies I can detect no noise ... the crossover allows a limited amount of eq, and this seems to be sufficient ... the sound is very smooth amd well integrated - goes down to below 40 smooth and then starts to roll off ... 30 still sounds good.
I have contemplated buying an identical crossover and another power amp identical to the existing bass amp and powering each bass speaker separately, rolling one in lower than the other, and providing more power to the lowest freq of the pair ... it'd take a bit of playing with to smooth out, and I'm not really sure if it's a good idea ... ... ... we'll see one of these days when I get around to tweaking - I just can't leave well enough alone :grin:
The Bass drivers are mismatched, but this doesn't seem to matter ... each baffle has one 15" veteran Fane bass driver plus one P-Audio 15" bass ... not an ideal situation having different breeds of speakers, but it does work well and does sound good.
I prefer the sound of a (burned in) B200 to that of any Fostex I have heard (not that Fostex don't sound good, because they do - but we all have subjective preferences) The B200s are very dynamic very detailed speakers ... efficient, and can play very loud.
These coupled with the 2 big bass speakers in open baffle give a solid sound with punchy and "authoritative" bass ... OBs give a sound that can be jaw-droppingly "realistic" ... a big sweet area ... not so affected by the room ... and no trace of boxiness - perhaps not the sound for everyone, but I love it (and I'm not alone) ... well recorded live performances can make you feel you are really "there" ... and they do play loud enough to deafen if you are so inclined ...
...BUT ... they would sound a whole heap better if they were in the proper Quasar type baffles rather than my knocked together temporary jobs ...

... but now, it's time for a cup of coffee ...
Cheers :cool:
ALF

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread