ALFs OBs (BD-Design)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 14:36 (6466 days ago) @ ALF

Hi alf,

In that case Peter, I'm glad I didn't do it ... :grin: Dangerous things
scopes...

True, true ... When I brought it home, I told my wife "now war is on" :smile:

Really, perhaps it's because of the driver placement (or perhaps because
I'm gettin old and deaf) I really can't tell ... there is that delay
between front and back as well - I haven't calculated what that might be
(and doubt if I will), but that will complicate the issue as well ... and

I have read a few posts of you, and it looks like you kind of have the same battle with "a" (any) system as I do. So yes, you could make good use of the delay (if there), if it matches the distance between woofer and the other stuff. That's what I did myself (finding a Behringer nevessary back then) in order to "like" the measured delay. But then later I found the noise ... and now the Behringer is in the attic :grin:

I haven't bothered to measure this room and its various modey things
either (another scary concept)...

You should ! I mean, have a Behringer (oh, again) 8000 mice fed into someting like RoomEQWizard, will teach you a LOT. And again, reading from your posts it would really be useful to you. Why ? well, because you (seem to) unintendedly make use of cancelling out low frequencies, therewith (possibly !!) having the experience of a more tight bass. This, while in the mean time your room will have standing waves at the lower frequencies which lower frequencies -just-should-be-there as long as the standing waves are eliminated (oh, I read a 2003 post from you somewhere).
These kind of measurements will tell you theoretically what happens when you toe-in or -out the speakers, change the distance from the wall etc. etc. You could also end up with having one speaker a bit more off the wall(s) than the other, just to shift standing waves.
Note that the usual common audiophile isn't bothered by standing waves as much as the casual HT subwoofer idiot. That's where I learned :wink:

Btw other thing : you probably know this one : http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/OBS.htm, but if not you might find it interesting.

Regards, and have good wines overthere ! (I'll have some at lunch then :grin: ).
Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread