Interesting post at Audioasylum (Off Topic)

by Eddie @, Sunday, July 02, 2006, 00:14 (6509 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Chauncy, Bert and others,

Again the confusion increases with me. I changed Foobar 9 back to V8.03, the last one sounds a little bit better. The difference of harddisk vs RAMdisk is certainly larger. The RAMdisk gives more improvement on my main loudspeaker system than it did on the laptop/headphone. So I will add some memory soon, 1 GB for only 100 Euro! Than I will be shure that I can load every CD at once in WAV format.

This reminds me of a question that I wanted to raise already for some time: how do people on this forum rate lossless compression such as FLAC??

Now the ASIO matters are puzzeling me. First I tried to install ASIO4ALL on the laptop that sends the data to the Twindac, but I have no idea wether or not I succeeded. The next question is which version is now considered the best sounding? The German one to be bought at 55 Euro or one of the specially compiled ones?

To finish I have a musical tip: "We shall overcome" by Bruce Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions Band, life recorded in the house of Bruce Springsteen. Very nice versions of old numbers and a very good recording! During my recent trials I found out that the Soundmax audio device used in my headphone system supports kernel streaming (besides direct sound and wave out). KS definitely sounds the best. This shows that a really high end sound system can be obtained at 1000 Euro if you fancy headphone sound. However, also here I still have a question: does the hardware of the Twindac support KS?

Kind regards,
Eddie

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread