DEQX vs Twindac+/Django (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Saturday, September 23, 2006, 07:20 (6425 days ago) @ dr.cube

Hi Wolfgang,

My personal opinion would be that you seem to want the DEQX for the wrong reasons. IOW, If I'd buy this device, I would go for the 6 digital-out option ... (instead of the analogue outs).

It also contains digital volume control, and *that* might be what you want.
Note that this "psychologically" is okay, once you start tweaking the digital domain anyway (what this device is for). With the digital volume control you can avoid all pre-amps (active and passive).

Today (or maybe the whole weekend) I will try once more with the digital volume control as I can do it with my setup (via the Fireface800 soundcard), and try to sense what's better : loosing micro detail because of my (active) pre-amp, or having micro detail without it, but loosing whatever it exactly is by molesting the digital source (compressing digital is different from "compressing" analogue).

The same might account for a device like the DEQX : what you gain by super time-alignment, might be lost on dynamics. Difficult, difficult ...

Btw, I had the Behringer representative (digital version, incl. dig-out, still using my own DAC), but the sound went completely flat.

Lastly, with Bert's speakers, maybe you shouldn't even try to improve the timing ... (which is not what you are after anyway, I think).
:bey:
Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread