DEQX vs Twindac+/Django (Off Topic)

by Henry Venema @, Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 16:53 (6415 days ago) @ GC

Jens
I've contacted Empirical Audio, and they tried to sell me an even more expensive upgrade between $5000-6000. Their web page indicates that all of the mods are done to the preamp section, but now they also have mods for the digital section including a USB input (which seems redundant since I have my computer connected by way of the Lynx AES16 soundcard to the DEQX with a cable specifically designed for this application). If most of the mods are for the preamp section that is the case then it probably would make more finacial sense to buy a DEQX withou the preamp and use a seperate stand alone preamp.

The DEQX company is apperantly not interested in developing an audiophile version of their units. They are selling so many of these things and making tons of cash that they don't see any need to change what their doing, and who can blame them. Having a steady stream of cash coming into an audio company is becoming more difficult these days. However, I think that someone could also make money selling a more reasonably priced upgrade for the DEQX, or a DIY package of parts and instructions. I guess we will have to wait, but given the popularity of these units I think that we will be seeing highend audiofile units from other audio companies that will out perform the DEQX in the very near future. If you snooze you loose. In the mean time I'm learning so much more about crossover design than I imagined.
Henry

Hi Henry,

Now if they could make an audiophile version of the DEQX the

performance

would take a whole other leap forward. I think the pre-amp section

could

use some work, but I will have to save that for another day, probably
sometime after the warrantee has ended, and hopefully by then there

will

be some good mods available from people who have more expertise and

skill

than I do.
Henry

Empirical Audio (www.empiricalaudio.com) offers modding for the DEQX.
For only $3150.
They were happy with the digital side and focused on the analog section.
They claim, their modded DEQX bettered a modded ML38 preamp.

Jens

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread