UcD (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Monday, February 12, 2007, 15:33 (6283 days ago) @ GC

As it turns out, this is one of these "projects" that gives me the creeps. :dntknw:

Okay. Remember, I base myself on theories and much reading only;

The theories tell me that Mueta is a chip that might turn out to be the best there is. Might becaue as kind of promised before, it doesn't ecist yet. Well, it does as a chip, but there isn't any live amp around it yet.
I talked to the company, and they didn't even want to tell me names of companies working on it, although, so called, "every main high end manufacturer is". Well ... this sounds too easy, and it doesn't help really.
All is under NDA the man said, and that was the end of the conversation.
We should be able to encounter live products in 6 months time or so.

My second option would have been a product as a derival of the third option, but as far as I can notice, that died a preliminary death, because the man behind it (coming from Philips originally) started working at this "third" company after being on his own for a while, and I don't think he is allowed to work on this other product, until the commercial life span of the "third" product has come to an end. ... Which won't be soon, because it just exists for not so long ...

So here's the third and IMHO currently only option : UcD ... Universal class D.

Please note : With my current knowledge there are no real drawbacks on the design, however, the sole fact that its originator, Bruno Putzeys (Belgian) came up with a better design than his own UcD, tells me UcD is not the end of it.
Note that UcD is a principle[i/] of operation, designed by Bruno in Philips laboraties, the chip concerned residing in amps as the Van Medevoort MA240.. BUT :

As said earlier, this is the about chip only, while the stuff around it is so important. For that matter - and those who don't know might be startled a bit : right now Bruno is working at Hypex (Netherlands, Groningen), and the chip is contained in the UcD180, UcD400 and UcD700 modules ...
Right, Hypex is from the known subwoofer active modules, and I never would have looked at those when I not investigated this a bit.

To get the idea, here's the Hypex website : http://www.hypex.nl/ which is about the modules only, them being ready to "connect" into a rather random cabinet.
To get the better idea of *that*, here's the website of MM-Audio : http://www.mm-audio.nl/shop/ being a very lousy under construction webshop, and I think you have to click something on the right to get something showing.
Do note that the 180 needs mods anyway, and the 400 and 700 need to be in AD version. The 700 is not just 700Watts, but also contains better parts. I think that would be the one to go for.
Note that MM-Audio just shows you can buy the stuff ready built (like the 700 for EUR 750), and that the Hypex weshop shows that for EUR 255 + 225 = 480 you'll get the 700AD + powersupply (monoblock !), and it further needs a cabinet (and softstart module I think) + 1 day of work to build it (hardly any soldering).

[img]images/uploaded/image32.gif[/img] [img]images/uploaded/image33.gif[/img][img]images/uploaded/image209.jpg[/img]

Note that the right picture shows an assembled (mono 700AD) with a dedicated transformer. These are rather known (and proved) options, and getting the stuff from MM-Audio makes it even more easy.

I know, it doesn't look all 100% decent, but at the risk that this might be the best you can get, at a(n even ready built) very low price, makes me think I grab the phone again, and just give it a try.

Note that "officially", guys like us having an Orphean and some BD15 enclosure underneath it, need four of these guys. However, further investigation may lead to the 400AD being equally good (investigate the parts !), *and* them being housed in stereo enclosures.

[img]images/uploaded/image210.jpg[/img]

(note this is a 180; couldn't find a stereo picture of the 400).

Peter

PS: I didn't want to step over to this other thread. Maybe delete that GC ?

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread