How low does the BD15 go with your enclosure (BD-Design)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 11:57 (6270 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

For this already very good post of yours, I had -during the reading of it- a response in mind. However, this response was already smacked in by you right at the end :

Finally: Really low bass are not heard but felt. :cool:

Okay.
Most probably many people will interpret this as "yeah, correct, the lowest bass can't be heard, but felt only".

As often (or ever :yes:) I have an explicit opinion on this, which might just not be the "yeah, correct" thing;

At this special version of "the player", existing for just over a week now, three things occur, hence are most obvious :
1. It *must* be the best version out of several I have;
2. It sounds less warm.

Now, I said "three", and the third needs some explanation, or reasoning if you like.
#1 above is important, because it tells that each individual element that can be judged / analyzed in playback, is the best, an THUS I dare to have the conclusion that the things which are *not* judegeable / analyzeable must be better just the same (this is no law, but logic).
And so I say that #2 -it sounds less warm- just must be for the better.

The latter again is important, because this is a subjective matter, and those who know me, know that I like to keep distant of subjectivenesses. And this is exactly why I try to reason that the less warmth must be better, or more real/honest.

Slowly :blush: coming to the point, coincidentally #2 is judged differently by me than my someone else. So there's a dispute here; #1 is clear to us both, but #2 seems "not so good" to the other person while I am very pleased with it. So how to get rid of this subjectiveness, hence what can be found to make it more absolute, thus independent from taste ? (mind you, the taste is allowed to remain, but I like to make things good from theory).

Finally: Really low bass are not heard but felt. :cool:

I quote this again, because in here is the key;
The version of the player with the warmer sound, apparently produces more bass. IN THE ROOM. Why ? How ?
Well, because with the colder sounding version you feel the bass ...
And this is #3.

So it is my theory that where "a" version lets feel the bass and not hear it, there is no way that can be worse than another version which makes it audible, but not sensible. The audible thing is what GC perfectly explained ... it is the room doing it to you. This just CAN NOT be better, because this is about reflections and waves coming together, amplifying eachother (yea yea, another epi***e of the standing waves. Sorry).

The downside of it might be, that while a woofer is tuned to cope with in-room responses, hence it decading with a certain rolloff from of a certain (Hz) point, it shouldn't ...

So a question to Bert might be :
Would it be possible to have an alternative filter with less steep (bass) rolloff, in order to test whether it would again make it better at the low end. For that matter Bert, it might come to not only appreciate less warmth, but also to just the absolute sense of less energy at the lower end. And this might even start at not so low as we think ...

What I will do in due time, is setting up a decent measuring environment, where the player (versions) produce the test tones. I mean, this just can be measured ...

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread