OffTopic (Drive Units)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 21:17 (6217 days ago) @ Jose Hidalgo
edited by unknown, Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 21:26

Hi Jose, and Eddie,

First of all, don't laugh ...

Because of my more or less technical viewing (say, equalling your "monitor" listening Jose), I can advise you to draw Musicality (Prince) which is (so far) the only CD pulling the BD15 to this 7 mm mentioned. Even at lower levels (btw, second track and further). Why ? well, because of the "square" synth bass coming from the CD, that being output like that with the proper playback means (start with a nos-DAC).

I mention above, because in all other music the BD15 hardly moves (4mm forth/back all together), and I can confirm this by usually playing at 90dB as low average point at 4m distance ...

Also, the situation Eddie mentiones was a kind of crazy one, proving that at that level -in a (estimate) 50m3 room- even bass waves would not interfere with eachother. And they didn't. However, that level (and I was there too) overdrove the 7W tube amp we used in the highest regions, so it did not sound comfortable anymore. Not because of distortion as you might expect, but because of sheer clipping of the amp.

For Eddie : lateron we confirmed this by running the same crazy "square clicks" on my amps, and at Bert's at lower levels, where the clicks now had a tune/tone which we did not hear back then.

The most important thing Jose, is even at that levels in *my* 290 m3 room, there's hardly excursion from the BD15 drivers. For that matter, do not expect too much doppler distortion.
And as said earlier (in a probably by me deleted post), my BD15 165L cabs measure straight to 26,5 Hz (the volume of the room contributing to that).
I can't measure distortion levels though ...

HTH,
Peter

Edit : With "bass waves would not interfere with eachother" I meant : the individual vibes of a e.g. a bass guitar were at the high SPL still as audible as at normal levels. This test was about something else, but showed anyway the tight control of the drivers.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread