Forgot to answer again... (BD-Design)

by giulio @, Friday, February 16, 2007, 19:37 (6289 days ago) @ Bert

Hi,

I guess Bert said in the past that the BD30 is a chip amp (not class D). Chances are it is based of an LM3886 or something similar. I do not care about the exact chip type.

You can conclude from the amount of capacitance that you can see from the pictures Bert made available that the BD30 is indeed optimized for bass performance. People using chip amps often claim that they sound better with little power supply capacitance (~ 1000uF) per rail. The cost of that is somewhat weaker bass. Bert has gone for lots of capacitance. Spot on for bass.

From what I know about chip amps and what I see from Bert's pictures the BD30 is indeed a good bass amp (and would be quite a decent amp overall but Bert is used to much better amps on the Oris).

It has been argued at length that if you want your bass to have a similar sonic signature as your main speakers it is best to drive it from an identical amp. Driving the bass amp from the main amp goes a long way in that direction and is a must if your main is not powerful enough.

I caNot see what the fuss is about. But some people seem to have a tendency to pick up a fight with anybody...

Best
Giulio

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread