BD-30 as fullrange alternative (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Friday, February 16, 2007, 19:38 (6289 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi Peter,

What I do know, however, is that there's no reason not to sell the BD30
together with the BD15, just like a subwoofer comes with its active amp.

Even if this isn't a question I will try to explain.

With all completed finished systems and all completed DIY packages offered the BD30 is always part of the package because then all should work optimally when connected or built together. Not only to complete the package but also because everything is tuned together and I know all about the parts used for future assistance. BTW. did you ever wondered why I am using the BD30's myself within my system?

Another thing is custom made, such systems are open for suggestions to which I do listen and respect the customers idea's. If they ask what would be the best then I will tell them, if they have their mind made up already (listening in between the lines) then I respect that to and will try to get the best out of that situation (soundwise).

And the last but not least thing is the "true" DIY-er who usually knows things better. They will always know better so why bother discussing the matter and wasting time when it won't change their mind in the end?

And for some the price is too high, not for the quality they will get but simply because there are cheaper things around which migth do just as well in their minds. I have used many different amps for the bass and among those, the BD30 is still the most accurate one.

Until ... until I -via Leif- ask you the question on paper for the first
time, KNOWING that it must be a rubbish statement from your mouth that the
sound from the bass is determined by the main amp. No matter what you say,
to me this is just rubbish, apart from the pre-amp principle, which makes
it right for say, 20%.

The BD30 is clean, clear, fast and very accurate. It will only show you what you feed them and if the main amplifier is driving them (like a colourfull tube amp with no control in the bass at all - which do exist) then the bass will sound just like that. If the main amp is crisp, quick, clean and fast so will be the bass driven by the BD30's.

Compare Foobar and GC, how's the bass different between these? Does it sound the same regardless the player you are using? No, so the BD30 is only giving what it is told. I am sure that the differences will be much less clear with inferior amps driving the bass drivers.

As long as I now know that the bass amp matters as much as the main amp,
I'm okay. If you'd admit that now, at last I got the answer, and again, I
asked for 10 times at least. The only thing I don't understood is how what
you said could be true. Well, it isn't.

Yes, the bass amp matters a lot. It should not play its own tune or reduce the quality you feed them... but the main amp matters just as much as explained before in this reply, everything matters!

The only strange thing again is, that it needs a fight like in this thread
to make you think like this ? My brain told me that sure the BD30 couldn't
be good enough, otherwise you would have connected a pair more to your own
system, instead of risking the explosions of NF amps, my time spent on
further stuff and all. But you did not.

True, I did not do that (again, as explained in my reply to Leif), never thought about that at all! Sometimes things to try are so obvious that it is overlooked...

Maybe I'm too simple : if you do not propose that or even start talking
about it, the BD30 is less in any case. I know, by now you explained it as
being too cold for being a main amp. But you know me, there's no way an amp
- too cold for mid/high- can suffice for bass. Only when it's less, and for
bass it's so called less important, this can be a reason FOR YOU. If I
would have thought like that, I would have had 2 BD30's by now.
[small print]... about now[/smallprint]

Having a new front end, having new speakers, having changed the lot since 4 years back when I started with the BD30's it is time to test them again, and compare them with the LadyDay's, the NF's, the D's...

I am using the BD30's as something standard all the time but seem to forget that it is more than just an amp... (taking them for granted as it seems).

Hah, more things to explore! :cool:

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread