Digital EQ (Off Topic)

by Bert @, Sunday, December 23, 2007, 00:03 (5970 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

I never would have believed it if I had not done it myself. I think it is
worth a try because one might really be missing something otherwise.

I am sure that there are things which can be improved by using a digital EQ/XO like the DEQX but it is so easy to accept for most people that this is the best solution without telling the whole story. I can see the advantages having a bi-amped system and let the filtering, time-alignment and even, to some point, correcting the behaviour of drive units done by a digital EQ.

What a DEQX never ever is able to do is to take away the signature of a driver, removing resonances of a driver or loudspeaker system, make it more dynamic, reduce dynamical compression or even give it more resolution than it is capable to give on its own. Before starting to use such a device would be best after everything else is as good as it can be...

Using a DEQX with a lousy system to optimise will never grow to be the best sounding system, a good tuned and fully analogue filtered system will wipe the floor with it!

The only thing the DEQX does is flattening the frequency response by optimising phase behaviour and related time-alignment the best it can. This is a very good thing though, relative easy and useable if you are capable to achieve that and know about the behaviour of loudspeakers in general to do this optimally...

The disadvantages taken it could be the best compromise while optimising a system further though and I will probably give it a try some day to see what it brings to my system.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread