amplifier for orphean horns (Off Topic)

by fu_man @, Monday, December 04, 2006, 01:36 (6366 days ago) @ soundcheck

It is the ESR - resistance - which is the key here.
The northstar batteries do have 2mR, which is good for 4300 Amps
http://www.northstarbattery.com/data_sheets/TeleCom/NSB90.pdf> >

Except the SMD parts nothing stayed on the board! Changing out the poor
coupling C and swapping the output coils was the first thing I've done.
This brought me a good step forward. E.g. swapping the air-coils to
Mundorf foil coils gave me quite some more details in the sound and less
distortions. I changed out all other caps and even the output filter.

Angelo,
If you can follow what Klaus is saying here then maybe a DIY system might be for you. If you are prepared to swap parts and tweak, and have some sort of reference to develop against. You could design your own tube amp too for comparison. You could DIY the Orphean too. BUT you will be 'lucky' to get results that result from the experience and skill of Bert. Seriously though if you can’t afford a sig 30 then maybe DIY is okay starting point - but don’t judge the RWA sig 30 by your results.
I think it is a bit unfair of others to criticize the pricing of an amp when they have not heard it, or even read about it.
I'm sure you have read that it is not a 24hr recharge, and that Vinnie has been selling products with these batteries for years so if his clients (many of which are DIYérs)found significant drops in quality after a few months we would know about it by now... so would Vinnie.

FWIW, here is a "review" from a new owner of Vinnies Sig70:
Well my Sig 70s are approaching 75 hours. This may be heresy but I REALLY HATE Solid State (except for its beautiful bass) but love SETs. Congratulations Vinnie, I think you have just created a Solid State SET!!! I'm not good at reviews but I know what I hear. Like many I have far too many amps (something I have to correct) but here is how the Sig 70s stack up against amps with which I am very familiar. I have two Harman Kardon Citation IIs from the mid 60s that the genius and guru of Citation IIs, Jim McShane completely rebuilt, re tubed to KT-90s, and wired so they could be switched between pentode and triode operation. The Sig 70s leave them in the dust. I have a pair of VTL-250s (250 watt triodes) and the 70s best them. Likewise the 70s surpass two SET amps I have, a tweaked pair of ASL Explorer monoblocks with NOS premium tubes and probably the last special order SE-40 SET made by Bel Canto. The later also has premium tubes. These amps put out 50 watts and 37 watts respectively. I have a pair of Kora Cosmos Reference monos (100 watts triode - Stereophile Class A) which I feel have the most beautiful highs I have ever heard. The Sig 70s have better bass but do not match the highs, but they are not embarrassed either

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread